Saturday, March 20, 2010

black and white purse with flap

I was playing around with the purses and I decided I wanted one with a flap as I like my purses to have a covering. So I was playing around and came up with this one. The side picture doesn't look as good as it does in person. I guess after I opened it I forgot to smooth it back down. The flap lifts up and is attached to the back and lays over fairly nicely. I thought it turned out pretty good (just don't look closely) as I'm still a beginner. I learn a lot as I go and the black and white is forgiving as it hides a lot. I think if I did this again though I would add various pockets as I forgot those this time. Live and learn. :) The longest time taken on this was just sewing it (especially for a beginner). Cutting the fat quarters (term for fabric if you didn't know) is simple - just keep folded in half, cut in 5" sections, fold over 2x and run through the Big Shot with the scallop square die (I used an extra shim). Can do 2 sections at a time. Got all the 72 squares cut out within minutes that way. Much better then cutting by hand and it gives you the nice curved edge to boot a bonus.
So I hope you enjoy my ideas and if you've never sewn you have to try it. I created one project over 15 years ago with help, so after that long I didn't remember anything and am new to sewing. I even had to get the book out to see how to thread the machine and set everything up. The first one was definitely frustrating to me, but I persevered and it was still fun in the long run that's why I made 2 more after the first one.
So I hope you enjoy my idea about adding a flap. Have a great day today. Blessings.

No comments: