Monday, December 15, 2008

Sparkly ornaments

Okay, I've been talking about the ornaments I've been making that were sparkly - well here they are. I didn't want to show them until I got most of the colors done. They turned out really pretty don't you think? The weren't that hard to make, just a little messy is all. These are clear ball ornaments, which have been colored with re-inker and dazzling diamond glitter. I only could make so manydifferent ones, because it's all the colors I had. There are 48 colors out there, plus the In-colors so there are a lot of options.

So how do you make them you ask. Well for the bigger ones you add about 30 drops of reinker (you can try less if you want, you can always add more.) I used classic ink by the way. I tried the white craft ink and it was thick and didn't move much. I added a touch of water, but it thinned a little too much, so I poured out some and then added some regular reinker to it and it kind of made a marbelish type of color which was sort of cool. It did take more patience though. So after you add the reinker you slowly revolve the ornament around and get a good even coating around the whole ball. Don't shake the ornament at this step or the reinker it causes air bubbles which are a pain to get out. When you get to the lip I suggest holding over a plastic cup or something you can throw away that holds liquid to let it drain some. I then dabbed it some with a paper towel while holding it upside down to get any excess at the lip (it will go through the towel, so don't set it on anything important - don't ask how I know that :) ). Then you immediately pour in some dazzling diamond glitter in. You can use a small funnel or I had a small spoon and a cheap Glad type container which I store mine in (or powder tray works) and poured in what I could. You need enough to coat it but not too much, because depending on the color you use it will color the glitter, so it's not as reusable. You can always add some more if you need to until it's dry. By the way, I used gloves and I would recommend you do that if you don't want colored fingers. Once the glitter is in there, take a cloth - paper towel works and cover the hole and shake really well in all directions. (If you don't use a paper towel or gloves, glitter will fly so I've heard). Then empty out any glitter that's extra (I don't recommend putting it back in the original container - unless you want different colored dazzling diamonds) and then let dry. Pop the top back in and you are done. To start with I'd use a lighter color that you can see through - it makes it easier to move around that way at least until you get use to it. The colors in the close up balls are real red, pacific point and old olive. I hope you enjoy this. If you have any questions just ask. My daughter also helped me make little ones for her teachers and she enjoyed it too. We put in about 11 drops for those. So have fun experimenting. I didn't try different colors, but that might be cool too - a swirl type of effect. Hmmm, sounds like an interesting prospect to try. Maybe one day soon. Anyways, I hope you have a great day.

No comments: