Tuesday, September 8, 2009

creepy halloween?

Okay, I debated for a while whether or not to post this card. Partly why it took me so long to post some things this weekend was I was debating what to post and the issues the Halloween items might bring up (Some people just don't like Halloween or what it represents). I bought the Halloween set From the Crypt this year. It's creepy and I had no idea why I liked it. I never buy anything creepy for Halloween. Since I spent almost half my life (yeah, I'm getting old now and can't say half anymore) as a non-Christian I grew up loving Halloween - at least the fun dress up and get candy, nothing creepy part. My kids love dressing up in costumes and pretending and love to get candy. Besides putting out some regular pumpkins or a spider (my daughter loves bugs) that's about all we do. Of course, my kids will dress up throughout the year (I have a great picture of my son trying to be three characters at once one day - Spiderman, Luke Skywalker, and Indiana Jones). He had parts of each - a spiderman mask, a skywalker light saber and an Indiana Jones hat. It was hilarious. He was a super, super hero. lol. He even dresses up into different characters and then gives me autographs from that character he's dressed as like they do at Disney World. He's really cute and creative and to watch him do that is really fun.

So I really have no idea why I like this set. The bat and spiders my daughter and I both like as they are normally found in nature, but the skull- it's so unlike me. So I started thinking about it and here is a little of what I came up with after thinking about it. Artistically I think I like how they have all the little drawings coming out of it (a little hard to see in this picture), but it has pumpkins, bats, trees, etc - all kinds of things around it. I think hidden pictures are cool. If you look closely at the left eye (it's right eye, but to the left), it looks like a little mouse sitting down. My sister sees that most of the time, just like the other image she sees a mustache guy, so go figure. So I kept trying to figure out why I'm interested in this set, since all the others before have been cutesy that I have gotten, as I like the spirit of Halloween but tend to shy from the creepy or some of the creepy history surrounding it. We just like the costumed/candy part of the holiday really and being with friends.

I'm not totally sure of my answer and it may evolve even over time, but I think it also reminds me of how thankful I am. Really. When I see this skull - which those types of things typically remind you of death, I realize how thankful I am. I don't really see creepy (ok well it's creepy), but I also think thankfulness. I'm thankful, because I know of the hope I have in being a Christian. That when I die, I'll be with my heavenly father. Now I know my body left behind will end up looking like this, but I won't. That to me is something to be thankful for.

There are even crosses in this picture if you look closely at it. Now they are more the graveyard type, but still they are there to help remind me. So when I see this picture I'm reminded to thank God for the blessing He has given me. I'm grateful that I won't be separated from Him when I die, but will live forever with Him eternally. So that's some of my thoughts on this set and why I think I like it.

So if you see more of this stamp set on a card, I hope you remember to also give thanks too or if you aren't a Christian and want to learn more, please feel free to ask. We are always open to questions. So that's some of my thoughts on why I bought this set. It may not make sense, but I get myself most of the time, so if you have questions ask. Print doesn't always describe things well. I have another item I made that I might show later too using this set again, I'm still thinking about it though.

so anyways, since the card was "creepy" on the outside (to most) , I had to cutin (is that a real word?) it up a little on the inside. This spider actually hangs. It folds up inside the card and when it gets opened it swings a little, which you don't expect in a card. It's made by using the 1 3/4" circle punch and then I just cut 1/8" strips and fan folded them and glued them to the circle, then put another circle on the back to hide the attachments. I added linen thread in between too, to hold it onto the card. The saying uses the hostess set Holiday Best and is colored in with black, pumpkin, and olive markers. It's stamped on whisper white and backed with pumpkin paper and I used the ticket corner punch to create the corners. They eyes are just punched circles and I used a marker to make eyeballs.

The front of the card I backed the skull with the stamp set Extreme elements from the growing up section. I didn't plan it that way, but it's cool how the pumpkin almost fills the face, but that was totally by accident. Those elements could be used for all kinds of background, but thought it cool to use for Halloween too. The saying on the front is from Teeny tiny wishes stamp set and the actual skull is heat embossed with black embossing powder.
So I hope you like my spider idea. I think I need to make my legs a little shorter to close better, but for a first try I think it came out kind of cute as a moving type card.
So I hope you enjoy the card and if I shared something that doesn't make sense let me know. Thanks and have a great day today.

No comments: