Tuesday, June 16, 2009

wild about you onesies

I'm really going to miss this set. I know I've mentioned this lately. It retires at the end of the month. Anyways I have a good friend getting ready to have a sweet baby any day now and I just recently read that you can stamp on fabric. So I just had to try this set on some onesies. Here are a couple of the trials. Sorry the picture lighting isn't the best. It was the best I had at the time.
The elephant is what it looks like with no tweaking. The alligator I guess my ink pad was a little faint and it came out too light, so instead of working with the stamp-a-ma-jig I had a reinker and I decided to use a brush and touch it up a little. I've been told it should last in the wash, but I told her to try and let me know the results. If it turns out it doesn't work I'll let you know. Of course you can always stamp on items you wouldn't wash - purses, bags, hats, etc. I've also heard you can bleach stamp on them too, but haven't tried that yet (works best with dark colors). Here is a couple of tips I've learned in doing this. One I've heard you should ink the stamp and stamp off first and then reink before you stamp on fabric. I've heard if you condition your stamps this way it helps the ink sink in better. You also need to use craft/pigment ink and not classic. I've also heard that Stazon is not good for the fabric. Hold the stamp on the fabric a few seconds to make sure it sinks in before you move it.
You need to prewash the fabric, but don't use fabric softner (I found this out after I stamped mine- I'll let you know how mine do). It's important that they are washed beforehand helps with shrinkage and helps condition the fabric. Stamp the image and then heat set it. I did mine two ways. I used an iron first (with paper in between so it doesn't come off on the iron or stick) and then I threw it in the dryer for a bit too. So that's another idea for you. I've already picked out a couple more sets that I want to try out. I just got a good deal on t-shirts and I thought I'd stamp some t-shirts for my kids. If it works well, I might even try one for myself too. The wheels are already turning. So I hope this helps inspire you to try some new things. I'll try and remember to let you know how it turns out.
Thanks for looking and have a great day today.

No comments: